← Revision 254 as of 2013-05-24 18:21:05
Just provide link to homepage, now restructuredtext support on the wiki is broken
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
Bazaar support for Subversion branches, working trees and repositories
|= Bazaar support for Subversion branches, working trees and repositories =|
|Line 5:||Line 3:|
bzr-svn is a plugin that allows Bazaar_ direct access to Subversion_
|bzr-svn is a plugin that allows Bazaar direct access to Subversion|
|Line 14:||Line 7:|
|.. _Bazaar: http://bazaar-vcs.org/
.. _Subversion: http://subversion.tigris.org/
The plugin can at the moment be used to commit to, pull from, merge from, push
to and view logs of Subversion branches from Bazaar.
The following features are currently present:
- Connecting to remote Subversion repositories over all
protocols supported by Subversion itself (at present:
svn://, svn+ssh://, http:// (webdav), file://)
as well as dump files.
Checkouts, lightweight checkouts and branching works.
- Integrates well with Bazaar.
- Track Bazaar merges in Subversion. Merged revisions show up
- Subversion working copies. Can be modified, queried
(``bzr status`` on a svn- native working copy created with
``svn co`` works) and committed from.
- Committing to Subversion from Bazaar.
- Push Bazaar revisions to Subversion.
- Follow branch copies. Revision history is not
truncated when a branch was copied in Subversion.
- Efficiently uses network bandwidth.
- Recognizes file metadata (executable bits, symbolic links).
- 'svn-import' command with functionality similar to svn2bzr_.
.. _svn2bzr: http://bazaar-vcs.org/svn2bzr
- Ability to track merges done with SVK_ and write merges from SVK/Subversion
branches in a format understandable by SVK.
.. _SVK: http://svk.elixus.org/
- Writes svn:mergeinfo property used by Subversion 1.5.
- Generates consistent file ids and revision ids. Two branches made using
this plugin of the same Subversion branch will result in *exactly* the same
- Handles complex operations in Subversion: committing to two branches at
once, upgrading directories to branches, copies from early revisions, ...
- Tested on Linux, Windows and Mac OS X.
bzr-svn can be used through the regular Bazaar user interface, see the
`Bazaar Documentation Overview`_ and the `Bazaar User Guide`_ for documentation on that.
.. _Bazaar Documentation Overview: Documentation
.. _Bazaar User Guide: http://doc.bazaar-vcs.org/bzr.dev/en/user-guide/index.html#bzr-svn
Some bzr-svn specific issues are answered by the FAQ_.
.. _FAQ: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr-svn/FAQ.html
The way Bazaar metadata is stored in Subversion and the other way around is
specified in the `mapping specification`_.
.. _mapping specification: BzrForeignBranches/Subversion/mapping
Please use the `regular Bazaar channels for support`_ for questions about bzr-svn.
.. _regular Bazaar channels for support: BzrSupport
Unsupported Subversion File Properties
Some Subversion properties can currently not be represented in Bazaar and are
therefore ignored for the time being:
- 'svn:ignore' is not imported. There should be a `Repository.get_ignores(revid)` call in
Bazaar rather than a magic '.bzrignore' file.
Spec at https://launchpad.net/products/bzr/+spec/new-ignore-rules
- 'svn:eol-style'. Requires eol support in Bazaar.
- 'svn:keywords'. Requires keywords support in Bazaar. Spec at https://launchpad.net/products/bzr/+spec/bzr-keyword-expansion. `#81463 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr-svn/+bug/81463>`_
Other features currently held back by Bazaars feature set:
- 'svn:externals'. Externals should be mapped to Bazaar 'by-reference'
nested branches and the other way around. This can't be implemented
until Bazaars nested branch support lands. The current work-in-progress also
needs support for pointing at the tip of a branch rather than at a
- Tracking copies.
. Spec at https://launchpad.net/products/bzr/+spec/filecopies
- Showing SVN merges as merges in Bazaar.
. Requires support for cherry-picking. Spec at https://launchpad.net/products/bzr/+spec/bzr-cpick-data
Most Bazaar commands should work fine with Subversion branches. The following commands at the moment do not:
- bzr push --create-prefix
* `0.5.2`_ (works with Bazaar 1.11 and 1.12)
* `0.5.1`_ (works with Bazaar 1.11 and 1.12)
* `0.5.0`_ (works with Bazaar 1.11 and 1.12)
* `0.5.0 RC 2`_ (works with Bazaar 1.11)
* `0.5.0 RC 1`_ (works with Bazaar 1.10)
* `0.4.17`_ (works with Bazaar 1.11)
* `0.4.16`_ (works with Bazaar 1.10)
* `0.4.15`_ (works with Bazaar 1.9)
* `0.4.14`_ (works with Bazaar 1.9)
* `0.4.13`_ (works with Bazaar 1.6 and 1.7)
* `0.4.12`_ (works with Bazaar 1.6)
* `0.4.11`_ (works with Bazaar 1.6)
* `0.4.11~rc2`_ (works with Bazaar 1.6)
* `0.4.11~rc1`_ (works with Bazaar 1.6)
* 0.4.10_ (works with Bazaar 1.4 and 1.5)
* 0.4.9_ (works with Bazaar 1.3)
* 0.4.8_ (works with Bazaar 1.2)
* 0.4.7_ (works with Bazaar 1.0 and 1.1)
* 0.4.6_ (works with Bazaar 1.0 and 1.1)
* 0.4.5_ (works with Bazaar 1.0 and higher)
* 0.4.4_ (works with Bazaar 0.92 and higher)
* 0.4.3_ (works with Bazaar 0.90 and higher)
* 0.4.2_ (works with Bazaar 0.90 and higher)
* 0.4.1_ (works with Bazaar 0.90 and higher)
* 0.4.0_ (works with Bazaar 0.19 and higher)
* 0.3.5_ (works with Bazaar 0.18 and higher)
* 0.3.4_ (works with Bazaar 0.17 and higher)
* 0.3.3_ (works with Bazaar 0.16 and higher)
* 0.3.2_ (works with Bazaar 0.15 and higher)
* 0.3.1_ (works with Bazaar 0.14 and higher)
* 0.3_ (works with Bazaar 0.14 and higher)
* 0.2_ (works with Bazaar 0.13 and higher)
* 0.1_ (works with Bazaar 0.8 and higher)
.. _0.5.2: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.5.2.tar.gz
.. _0.5.1: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.5.1.tar.gz
.. _0.5.0: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.5.0.tar.gz
.. _0.5.0 RC 2: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.5.0~rc2.tar.gz
.. _0.5.0 RC 1: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.5.0~rc1.tar.gz
.. _0.4.17: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.4.17.tar.gz
.. _0.4.16: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.4.16.tar.gz
.. _0.4.15: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.4.15.tar.gz
.. _0.4.14: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.4.14.tar.gz
.. _0.4.13: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.4.13.tar.gz
.. _0.4.12: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.4.12.tar.gz
.. _0.4.11: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.4.11.tar.gz
.. _0.4.11~rc2: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.4.11~rc2.tar.gz
.. _0.4.11~rc1: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.4.11~rc1.tar.gz
.. _0.4.10: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.4.10.tar.gz
.. _0.4.9: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.4.9.tar.gz
.. _0.4.8: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.4.8.tar.gz
.. _0.4.7: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.4.7.tar.gz
.. _0.4.6: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.4.6.tar.gz
.. _0.4.5: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.4.5.tar.gz
.. _0.4.4: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.4.4.tar.gz
.. _0.4.3: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.4.3.tar.gz
.. _0.4.2: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.4.2.tar.gz
.. _0.4.1: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.4.1.tar.gz
.. _0.4.0: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.4.0.tar.gz
.. _0.3.5: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.3.5.tar.gz
.. _0.3.4: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.3.4.tar.gz
.. _0.3.3: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.3.3.tar.gz
.. _0.3.2: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.3.2.tar.gz
.. _0.3.1: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.3.1.tar.gz
.. _0.3: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.3.tar.gz
.. _0.2: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.2.tar.gz
.. _0.1: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.1.tar.gz
You will need a recent version of Bazaar, usually the release of Bazaar
released in the same month as the release of bzr-svn you are using. bzr-svn
will warn if the Bazaar release used is too old or too new.
If you are using Python 2.4, you will need to have the pysqlite module installed. Python 2.5 and higher have sqlite support built in.
Subversion development files
You need the Subversion libraries, including the development files. This should
be readily packaged for most platforms. The package name for Debian
and Debian-based distributions such as Ubuntu is ``libsvn-dev``.
In order to be able to use the ``svn-upgrade`` command (for those
who used versions of bzr-svn older than 0.4.0), you will need the `bzr-rebase`_
.. _bzr-rebase: http://bazaar-vcs.org/Rebase
Simply place this directory in ~/.bazaar/plugins and you should be able
to check out branches from Subversion using bzr. Make sure the directory
name is 'svn'. The plugin has to be built as well by running ``make``.
Instead of installing the plugin yourself, you can also install a prepackaged
version of it for your platform.
The standard `Windows installers for Bazaar`_ include bzr-svn.
.. _Windows installers for Bazaar: https://edge.launchpad.net/bzr/+download
Debian/Ubuntu packages are available from Debian experimental/sid and the Bazaar PPA.
Ubuntu's in-development release usually also contain the latest release.
GoboLinux includes `a recipe <http://recipes.gobolinux.org/r/?list=BZR-SVN>`_ for bzr-svn.
OpenSuse packages created by Michael Wolf are available from http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/maw:/bzr/
An unofficial Gentoo overlay containing a bzr-svn ebuild are hosted on launchpad at https://launchpad.net/bzr-gentoo-overlay/.
Mac OS X
Download the latest Subversion DMG from: http://svnbinaries.open.collab.net/servlets/ProjectDocumentList
bzr-svn DMG packages can be found in bzr-svn launchpad page.
bzr-svn is now also available in MacPorts, and can be installed with: ``$ sudo port install bzr-svn``
Please file bug reports in launchpad. The product URL for bzr-svn is
* http://people.samba.org/bzr/jelmer/bzr-svn/0.5 (current release series)
* http://people.samba.org/bzr/jelmer/bzr-svn/0.4 (old release series)
To run the bzr-svn testsuite, simply run 'bzr selftest svn'
bzr-svn was written by JelmerVernooij_ with the help from various other people. See the AUTHORS file in the source distribution for a list.
.. _JelmerVernooij: http://samba.org/~jelmer/
Bazaar support for Subversion branches, working trees and repositories
bzr-svn is a plugin that allows Bazaar direct access to Subversion repositories. It allows most bzr commands to work directly against Subversion repositories, as if you were using bzr with a native bzr repository.