|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 94:||Line 94:|
|* 0.4.9_ (works with Bazaar 1.3)|
|Line 112:||Line 113:|
|.. _0.4.9: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.4.9.tar.gz|
This plugin allows bzr direct access to Subversion repositories. This allows bzr branch, bzr push, bzr pull, and bzr co to work directly against Subversion repositories.
The plugin can at the moment be used to commit to, pull from, merge from, push to and view logs of Subversion branches from Bazaar.
The following features are currently present:
- Connecting to remote Subversion repositories over all protocols supported by Subversion itself (at present: svn://, svn+ssh://, http:// (webdav), file://) as well as dump files. Checkouts, lightweight checkouts and branching works.
- Integrates well with Bazaar.
- Track Bazaar merges in Subversion. Merged revisions show up as ghosts.
- Subversion working copies. Can be modified, queried (bzr status on a svn- native working copy created with svn co works) and committed from.
- Committing to Subversion from Bazaar.
- Push Bazaar revisions to Subversion.
- Follow branch copies. Revision history is not truncated when a branch was copied in Subversion.
- Efficiently uses network bandwidth.
- Recognizes file metadata (executable bits, symbolic links).
- 'svn-import' command with functionality similar to svn2bzr.
- Ability to track merges done with SVK (http://svk.elixus.org/ or http://svk.bestpractical.com) and write merges from SVK/Subversion branches in a format understandable by SVK.
- Generates consistent file ids and revision ids. Two branches made using this plugin of the same Subversion branch will result in exactly the same Bazaar branch.
- Handles complex operations in Subversion: committing to two branches at once, upgrading directories to branches, copies from early revisions, ...
- Tested on Linux, Windows and Mac OS X.
bzr-svn can be used through the regular Bazaar user interface, see the Bazaar Documentation Overview for documentation on that.
Some bzr-svn specific issues are answered by the FAQ.
The way Bazaar metadata is stored in Subversion and the other way around is specified in the mapping specification.
Ask bzr-svn related questions on the Bazaar mailing list or in the #bzr IRC channel on Freenode.
Subversion File Properties
Some Subversion properties can currently not be represented in Bazaar and are therefore ignored for the time being:
- 'svn:ignore' is not imported. There should be a Repository.get_ignores(revid) call in Bazaar rather than a magic '.bzrignore' file. Spec at https://launchpad.net/products/bzr/+spec/new-ignore-rules
- 'svn:eol-style'. Requires eol support in Bazaar.
- 'svn:keywords'. Requires keywords support in Bazaar. Spec at https://launchpad.net/products/bzr/+spec/bzr-keyword-expansion. #81463
Other features currently held back by Bazaars feature set:
- Horizon revision history. Most of the existing Subversion repositories are quite large and it would therefore be nice to be able to limit the amount of history that needs to be retrieved during checkouts. Subversion supports horizon history fine. . Spec at https://launchpad.net/products/bzr/+spec/shallow-checkouts
- Tracking copies. . Spec at https://launchpad.net/products/bzr/+spec/filecopies
- Showing SVN merges as merges in Bazaar. . Requires support for cherry-picking. Spec at https://launchpad.net/products/bzr/+spec/bzr-cpick-data
- 0.4.9 (works with Bazaar 1.3)
- 0.4.8 (works with Bazaar 1.2)
- 0.4.7 (works with Bazaar 1.0 and 1.1)
- 0.4.6 (works with Bazaar 1.0 and 1.1)
- 0.4.5 (works with Bazaar 1.0 and higher)
- 0.4.4 (works with Bazaar 0.92 and higher)
- 0.4.3 (works with Bazaar 0.90 and higher)
- 0.4.2 (works with Bazaar 0.90 and higher)
- 0.4.1 (works with Bazaar 0.90 and higher)
- 0.4.0 (works with Bazaar 0.19 and higher)
- 0.3.5 (works with Bazaar 0.18 and higher)
- 0.3.4 (works with Bazaar 0.17 and higher)
- 0.3.3 (works with Bazaar 0.16 and higher)
- 0.3.2 (works with Bazaar 0.15 and higher)
- 0.3.1 (works with Bazaar 0.14 and higher)
- 0.3 (works with Bazaar 0.14 and higher)
- 0.2 (works with Bazaar 0.13 and higher)
- 0.1 (works with Bazaar 0.8 and higher)
If you are using Python 2.4, you will need to have the pysqlite module installed. Python 2.5 and higher have sqlite support built in.
Python-Subversion >= 1.5
The plugin requires a couple of fixes to the Python bindings for Subversion that are only available in Subversion 1.5 and higher. Subversion 1.5 has not been released yet, but packages with the appropriate patches applied to older versions are available for some platforms.
Building from source
Subversion 1.5 and 1.6 (trunk) contain the required fixes. To compile Subversion from trunk, run:
$ svn export http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk svn $ ./autogen.sh --release $ ./configure $ make $ make check-swig-py $ sudo make install install-swig-py
Patches for Subversion 1.3.x and 1.4.x are also available:
To build a fixed version of Subversion's Python bindings using one of these patches, run:
$ wget http://subversion.tigris.org/downloads/subversion-1.4.3.tar.bz2 $ tar xvfj subversion-1.4.3.tar.bz2 $ cd subversion-1.4.3 $ patch -p1 < subversion-1.4.0-metze-python-bindings.patch $ ./autogen.sh --release $ ./configure $ make $ make check-swig-py $ sudo make install install-swig-py
Please note that the patches against Subversion 1.3.2 and 1.4.0 don't include the fix for a major memory leak in python-subversion.
An unofficial bzr-svn installer for Win32 as well as an unofficial, patched build of Python-Subversion for Windows can be found at http://d5190871.u44.websitesource.net/bzr/. This package can be used with the Python-based installer or the standalone installation of Bazaar.
Mac OS X
To install on OS X Leopard do something like the following:
# Install the latest stable Bazaar (if you didn't already) sudo easy_install -U paramiko pycrypto bzr # Compile Subversion 1.5 (for better python support) cd /tmp rm -rf svn svn export http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk svn cd svn curl http://www.webdav.org/neon/neon-0.27.2.tar.gz | tar xz ln -sf neon-0.27.2 neon ./autogen.sh ./configure --without-apxs --with-ssl --prefix=$HOME/.bazaar/svn make install install-swig-py cd .. # Install the bzr_svn plugin mkdir ~/.bazaar ~/.bazaar/plugins cd ~/.bazaar/plugins rm -rf svn bzr checkout --lightweight \ http://people.samba.org/bzr/jelmer/bzr-svn/stable svn # The following is a temporary patch - it will core-dump without it perl -p -i -e 's/(providers \+\= auth\.Subversion)/\#$1/g' svn/transport.py perl -p -i -e 's/(providers \+\= \[auth\.get)/\#$1/g' svn/transport.py # Setup your profile to recognize subversion 1.5 echo >> ~/.profile << \EOF alias bzr="DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/.bazaar/svn/lib \ PYTHONPATH=$HOME/.bazaar/svn/lib/svn-python \ bzr" EOF . ~/.profile # Test bzr + svn w/ ssl cd /tmp rm -rf test bzr branch https://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk test
To install on OS X Tiger follow Leopard instructions: * If you updated XCode to 2.5, your libtool is broken. Installing libtool from macports solve this problem.
Debian/Ubuntu packages are available from Jelmer's Debian repository.
Ubuntu hardy and Debian sid usually also contain the latest release.
OpenSuse packages created by Michael Wolf are available from http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/maw:/bzr/
Installation instructions for Fedora/RedHat are on https://planning.acm.org/hq/documentation/version-control/installing-bzr-svn
An unofficial Gentoo overlay containing the patches for Subversion versions 1.3 and 1.4, plus a bzr-svn ebuild are hosted on launchpad at https://launchpad.net/bzr-gentoo-overlay/.
Please file bug reports in launchpad. The product URL for bzr-svn is https://launchpad.net/bzr-svn/.
To run the bzr-svn testsuite, simply run 'bzr selftest svn'
bzr-svn was written by JelmerVernooij with the help from various other people. See the AUTHORS file in the source distribution for a list.