← Revision 254 as of 2013-05-24 18:21:05
Just provide link to homepage, now restructuredtext support on the wiki is broken
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
|#FORMAT rst||= Bazaar support for Subversion branches, working trees and repositories =|
|Line 3:||Line 3:|
|bzr-svn is a plugin that allows Bazaar direct access to Subversion
repositories. It allows most bzr commands to work directly against Subversion
repositories, as if you were using bzr with a native bzr repository.
|Line 4:||Line 7:|
This plugin allows bzr direct access to Subversion repositories. This allows ``bzr branch``, ``bzr push``, ``bzr pull``, and ``bzr co`` to work directly against Subversion repositories.
The plugin can at the moment be used to commit to, pull from, merge from, push to and view logs of Subversion branches from Bazaar.
The following features are currently present:
* Connecting to remote Subversion repositories over all protocols supported by Subversion itself (at present: svn://, svn+ssh://, http:// (webdav), file://) as well as dump files. Checkouts, lightweight checkouts and branching works.
* Track Bazaar merges in Subversion. Merged revisions show up as ghosts.
* Subversion working copies. Can be modified, queried (``bzr status`` on a svn- native working copy created with ``svn co`` works) and committed from.
* Committing to Subversion from Bazaar.
* Push Bazaar revisions to Subversion.
* Follow branch copies. Revision history is not truncated when a branch was copied in Subversion.
* Efficiently uses network bandwidth.
* Recognizes file metadata (executable bits, symbolic links).
* 'svn-import' command with functionality similar to svn2bzr_.
* Ability to track merges done with SVK (http://svk.elixus.org/ or http://svk.bestpractical.com) and write merges from SVK/Subversion branches in a format understandable by SVK.
* Generates consistent file ids and revision ids. Two branches made using this plugin of the same Subversion branch will result in *exactly* the same Bazaar branch.
* Handles complex operations in Subversion: committing to two branches at once, upgrading directories to branches, copies from early revisions, ...
* Tested on Linux, Windows and Mac OS X.
In the future, I also hope to support:
* Turning delete + copy in Subversion into renames in bzr. Note that bzr revisions with renames can be pushed and pull just fine without losing information about renames because extra metadata is stored in the svn repository for that purpose.
* 'svn:externals'. Externals should be mapped to Bazaar 'by-reference' nested branches and the other way around. Work on progress in http://people.samba.org/bzr/jelmer/bzr-svn/nestedtrees. `#82863 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr-svn/+bug/82863>`_
Network-wise (both bandwidth and roundtrips), the plugin is in good shape. However, it is currently quite CPU-intensive for no good reason and I hope to make a couple of improvements in that area.
* More efficient use of CPU
* Override implementation of get_revision_delta(). Will speed up 'bzr log -v'
* use svn_ra_replay() on systems that have Subversion 1.4. Saves a couple of roundtrips when fetching history. Initial work in branch at http://people.samba.org/bzr/jelmer/bzr-svn/replay
* The function that obtains logs in Subversion leaks memory. This is a known issue.
bzr-svn can be used through the regular Bazaar user interface, see the
`Bazaar Documentation Overview`_ for documentation on that.
.. _Bazaar Documentation Overview: Documentation
Some bzr-svn specific issues are answered by the FAQ_.
.. _FAQ: BzrForeignBranches/Subversion/FAQ
The way Bazaar metadata is stored in Subversion and the other way around is specified in the `mapping specification`_.
.. _mapping specification: BzrForeignBranches/Subversion/mapping
Some Subversion properties can currently not be represented in Bazaar and are therefore ignored for the time being:
* 'svn:ignore' is not imported. There should be a `Repository.get_ignores(revid)` call in
Bazaar rather than a magic '.bzrignore' file.
Spec at https://launchpad.net/products/bzr/+spec/new-ignore-rules
* 'svn:eol-style'. Requires eol support in Bazaar.
* 'svn:keywords'. Requires keywords support in Bazaar. Spec at https://launchpad.net/products/bzr/+spec/bzr-keyword-expansion. `#81463 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr-svn/+bug/81463>`_
Other features currently held back by Bazaars feature set:
* Horizon revision history. Most of the existing Subversion repositories are quite large and it would therefore be nice to be able to limit the amount of history that needs to be retrieved during checkouts. Subversion supports horizon history fine.
. Spec at https://launchpad.net/products/bzr/+spec/shallow-checkouts
* Tracking copies.
. Spec at https://launchpad.net/products/bzr/+spec/filecopies
* Showing SVN merges as merges in Bazaar.
. Requires support for cherry-picking. Spec at https://launchpad.net/products/bzr/+spec/bzr-cpick-data
* 0.4.6_ (works with Bazaar 1.0 and 1.1)
* 0.4.5_ (works with Bazaar 1.0 and higher)
* 0.4.4_ (works with Bazaar 0.92 and higher)
* 0.4.3_ (works with Bazaar 0.90 and higher)
* 0.4.2_ (works with Bazaar 0.90 and higher)
* 0.4.1_ (works with Bazaar 0.90 and higher)
* 0.4.0_ (works with Bazaar 0.19 and higher)
* 0.3.5_ (works with Bazaar 0.18 and higher)
* 0.3.4_ (works with Bazaar 0.17 and higher)
* 0.3.3_ (works with Bazaar 0.16 and higher)
* 0.3.2_ (works with Bazaar 0.15 and higher)
* 0.3.1_ (works with Bazaar 0.14 and higher)
* 0.3_ (works with Bazaar 0.14 and higher)
* 0.2_ (works with Bazaar 0.13 and higher)
* 0.1_ (works with Bazaar 0.8 and higher)
.. _0.4.6: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.4.6.tar.gz
.. _0.4.5: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.4.5.tar.gz
.. _0.4.4: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.4.4.tar.gz
.. _0.4.3: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.4.3.tar.gz
.. _0.4.2: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.4.2.tar.gz
.. _0.4.1: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.4.1.tar.gz
.. _0.4.0: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.4.0.tar.gz
.. _0.3.5: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.3.5.tar.gz
.. _0.3.4: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.3.4.tar.gz
.. _0.3.3: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.3.3.tar.gz
.. _0.3.2: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.3.2.tar.gz
.. _0.3.1: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.3.1.tar.gz
.. _0.3: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.3.tar.gz
.. _0.2: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.2.tar.gz
.. _0.1: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.1.tar.gz
Debian/Ubuntu packages are available from `Jelmer's Debian repository`_.
.. _Jelmer's Debian repository: http://samba.org/~jelmer/debian/
This repository is signed with Jelmers' GPG key (1EEF5276).
Ubuntu hardy and Debian sid already contain the latest release.
The plugin requires a couple of fixes to the Python bindings for Subversion that are only available in Subversion 1.5 (trunk).
A patch against Subversion 1.4.3 is also available at http://samba.org/~metze/subversion-1.4.0-metze-python-bindings.patch. To build a fixed version of Subversion's Python bindings using this patch, run:
$ wget http://subversion.tigris.org/downloads/subversion-1.4.3.tar.bz2
$ tar xvfj subversion-1.4.3.tar.bz2
$ cd subversion-1.4.3
$ patch -p1 < subversion-1.4.0-metze-python-bindings.patch
$ ./autogen.sh --release
$ make check-swig-py
$ sudo make install install-swig-py
If you are using Python 2.4, you will need to have the pysqlite module installed. Python 2.5 and higher have sqlite support built in.
After ensuring these dependencies are met, you should be able to check out branches from Subversion using regular bzr commands.
An `older patch for Subversion 1.3.2 <http://people.samba.org/bzr/jelmer/subversion-1.3.2-pythonfixes.diff>`_ is available
Python-SVN bindings for Win32 can be found at http://www.scio.com.mx/gui/svn_python-1.4.3.win32.exe. These bindings appear to be dependent on msvcr80.dll (included in .Net 2.0). Windows is supported as of 0.4.0. You will also need to use the Python-based installer of Bazaar rather than the standalone one.
To install on OS X Leopard do something like the following:
sudo easy_install -U paramiko pycrypto bzr
rm -rf subversion*
curl -O http://subversion.tigris.org/downloads/subversion-1.4.6.tar.bz2
tar xvfj subversion-1.4.6.tar.bz2
curl http://samba.org/~metze/subversion-1.4.0-metze-python-bindings.patch \
| patch -p1
./configure --without-apache --without-apxs --with-ssl --prefix=/tmp \
echo >> $HOME/.profile << \EOF
alias b='DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/.bazaar/lib PYTHONPATH=$HOME/.bazaar/lib/svn-python bzr'
mkdir ~/.bazaar ~/.bazaar/plugins
rm -rf svn
b branch http://people.samba.org/bzr/jelmer/bzr-svn/stable svn
# Try it out
b branch http://macromates.com/svn/Bundles/trunk textmate-bundles
Debian/Ubuntu packages with the required fixes backported are available in Ubuntu since Edgy and Debian since Etch. You need the `python-subversion <http://packages.ubuntu.com/edgy/python/python-subversion>`_ and `libsvn0 <http://packages.ubuntu.com/edgy/libs/libsvn0>`_ packages. bzr-svn itself is also packaged.
OpenSuse packages created by Michael Wolf are available from http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/maw:/bzr/
Installation instructions for Fedora/RedHat are on https://planning.acm.org/hq/documentation/version-control/installing-bzr-svn
An unofficial Gentoo overlay containing the patches for Subversion versions 1.3 and 1.4, plus a bzr-svn ebuild are hosted on launchpad at https://launchpad.net/bzr-gentoo-overlay/.
Please file bug reports in launchpad. The product URL for bzr-svn is https://launchpad.net/bzr-svn/.
* http://people.samba.org/bzr/jelmer/bzr-svn/0.4 (stable release series)
* http://people.samba.org/bzr/jelmer/bzr-svn/0.3 (old stable release series)
* http://people.samba.org/bzr/jelmer/bzr-svn/trunk (bleeding edge, may break existing imports every now and then)
Simply run 'bzr selftest svn'
bzr-svn was written by JelmerVernooij_ with the help from various other people. See the AUTHORS file in the source distribution for a list.
Bazaar support for Subversion branches, working trees and repositories
bzr-svn is a plugin that allows Bazaar direct access to Subversion repositories. It allows most bzr commands to work directly against Subversion repositories, as if you were using bzr with a native bzr repository.