clarify information on renames
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 114:||Line 114:|
|* 0.4.4_ (works with Bazaar 0.92 and higher)|
|Line 127:||Line 128:|
|.. _0.4.4: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.4.4.tar.gz|
|Line 176:||Line 178:|
|Python-SVN bindings for Win32 can be found at http://www.scio.com.mx/gui/svn_python-1.4.3.win32.exe. These bindings appear to be dependent on msvcr80.dll (included in .Net 2.0). Windows is supported as of 0.4.0.||Python-SVN bindings for Win32 can be found at http://www.scio.com.mx/gui/svn_python-1.4.3.win32.exe. These bindings appear to be dependent on msvcr80.dll (included in .Net 2.0). Windows is supported as of 0.4.0. You will also need to use the Python-based installer of Bazaar rather than the standalone one.|
This plugin allows bzr direct access to Subversion repositories. This allows bzr branch, bzr push, bzr pull, and bzr co to work directly against Subversion repositories.
The plugin can at the moment be used to commit to, pull from, merge from, push to and view logs of Subversion branches from Bazaar.
The following features are currently present:
- Connecting to remote Subversion repositories over all protocols supported by Subversion itself (at present: svn://, svn+ssh://, http:// (webdav), file://) as well as dump files. Checkouts, lightweight checkouts and branching works.
- Track Bazaar merges in Subversion. Merged revisions show up as ghosts.
- Subversion working copies. Can be modified, queried (bzr status on a svn- native working copy created with svn co works) and committed from.
- Committing to Subversion from Bazaar.
- Push Bazaar revisions to Subversion.
- Follow branch copies. Revision history is not truncated when a branch was copied in Subversion.
- Efficiently uses network bandwidth.
- Recognizes file metadata (executable bits, symbolic links).
- 'svn-import' command with functionality similar to svn2bzr.
- Ability to track merges done with SVK (http://svk.elixus.org/ or http://svk.bestpractical.com) and write merges from SVK/Subversion branches in a format understandable by SVK.
- Generates consistent file ids and revision ids. Two branches made using this plugin of the same Subversion branch will result in exactly the same Bazaar branch.
- Handles complex operations in Subversion: committing to two branches at once, upgrading directories to branches, copies from early revisions, ...
- Tested on Linux, Windows and Mac OS X.
In the future, I also hope to support:
- Turning delete + copy in Subversion into renames in bzr. Note that bzr revisions with renames can be pushed and pull just fine without losing information about renames because extra metadata is stored in the svn repository for that purpose.
- 'svn:externals'. Externals should be mapped to Bazaar 'by-reference' nested branches and the other way around. Work on progress in http://people.samba.org/bzr/jelmer/bzr-svn/nestedtrees. #82863
Network-wise (both bandwidth and roundtrips), the plugin is in good shape. However, it is currently quite CPU-intensive for no good reason and I hope to make a couple of improvements in that area.
- More efficient use of CPU
- Override implementation of get_revision_delta(). Will speed up 'bzr log -v'
- use svn_ra_replay() on systems that have Subversion 1.4. Saves a couple of roundtrips when fetching history. Initial work in branch at http://people.samba.org/bzr/jelmer/bzr-svn/replay
- implement svn_ra_get_dir_revs() in Subversion to fetch the properties set on a specific directory all at once.
- The function that obtains logs in Subversion leaks memory. This is a known issue.
Some Subversion properties can currently not be represented in Bazaar and are therefore ignored for the time being:
- 'svn:ignore' is not imported. There should be a Repository.get_ignores(revid) call in Bazaar rather than a magic '.bzrignore' file. Spec at https://launchpad.net/products/bzr/+spec/new-ignore-rules
- 'svn:eol-style'. Requires eol support in Bazaar.
- 'svn:keywords'. Requires keywords support in Bazaar. Spec at https://launchpad.net/products/bzr/+spec/bzr-keyword-expansion. #81463
Other features currently held back by Bazaars feature set:
- Horizon revision history. Most of the existing Subversion repositories are quite large and it would therefore be nice to be able to limit the amount of history that needs to be retrieved during checkouts. Subversion supports horizon history fine. . Spec at https://launchpad.net/products/bzr/+spec/shallow-checkouts
- Tracking copies. . Spec at https://launchpad.net/products/bzr/+spec/filecopies
- Showing SVN merges as merges in Bazaar. . Requires support for cherry-picking. Spec at https://launchpad.net/products/bzr/+spec/bzr-cpick-data
- 0.4.4 (works with Bazaar 0.92 and higher)
- 0.4.3 (works with Bazaar 0.90 and higher)
- 0.4.2 (works with Bazaar 0.90 and higher)
- 0.4.1 (works with Bazaar 0.90 and higher)
- 0.4.0 (works with Bazaar 0.19 and higher)
- 0.3.5 (works with Bazaar 0.18 and higher)
- 0.3.4 (works with Bazaar 0.17 and higher)
- 0.3.3 (works with Bazaar 0.16 and higher)
- 0.3.2 (works with Bazaar 0.15 and higher)
- 0.3.1 (works with Bazaar 0.14 and higher)
- 0.3 (works with Bazaar 0.14 and higher)
- 0.2 (works with Bazaar 0.13 and higher)
- 0.1 (works with Bazaar 0.8 and higher)
Debian/Ubuntu packages are available from http://samba.org/~jelmer/debian/. Ubuntu gutsy and Debian sid already contain the latest release.
The plugin requires a couple of fixes to the Python bindings for Subversion that are only available in Subversion 1.5 (trunk). Debian/Ubuntu packages with these fixes backported are available in Ubuntu since Edgy and Debian since Etch. You need the python-subversion and libsvn0 packages.
A patch against Subversion 1.4.3 is also available at http://samba.org/~metze/subversion-1.4.0-metze-python-bindings.patch. To build a fixed version of Subversion's Python bindings using this patch, run:
$ wget http://subversion.tigris.org/downloads/subversion-1.4.3.tar.bz2 $ tar xvfj subversion-1.4.3.tar.bz2 $ cd subversion-1.4.3 $ patch -p1 < subversion-1.4.0-metze-python-bindings.patch $ ./autogen.sh --release $ ./configure $ make $ make check-swig-py $ sudo make install install-swig-py
Only certain versions of SWIG (http://www.swig.org) are able to build the Subversion Python bindings correctly. Success has been reported for SWIG versions 1.3.25 and 1.3.27. You can download old versions of SWIG from here.
If you are using Python 2.4, you will need to have the pysqlite module installed. Python 2.5 and higher have sqlite support built in.
After ensuring these dependencies are met, you should be able to check out branches from Subversion using regular bzr commands.
An older patch for Subversion 1.3.2 is available
Installation instructions for Fedora/RedHat are on https://planning.acm.org/hq/documentation/version-control/installing-bzr-svn
An unofficial Gentoo overlay containing the patches for Subversion versions 1.3 and 1.4, plus a bzr-svn ebuild are hosted on launchpad at https://launchpad.net/bzr-gentoo-overlay/.
Python-SVN bindings for Win32 can be found at http://www.scio.com.mx/gui/svn_python-1.4.3.win32.exe. These bindings appear to be dependent on msvcr80.dll (included in .Net 2.0). Windows is supported as of 0.4.0. You will also need to use the Python-based installer of Bazaar rather than the standalone one.
Please file bug reports in launchpad. The product URL for bzr-svn is https://launchpad.net/bzr-svn/.
Simply run 'bzr selftest svn'
bzr-svn was written by JelmerVernooij with the help from various other people. See the AUTHORS file in the source distribution for a list.