add some links to bug reports
← Revision 254 as of 2013-05-24 18:21:05
Just provide link to homepage, now restructuredtext support on the wiki is broken
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
|#FORMAT rst||= Bazaar support for Subversion branches, working trees and repositories =|
|Line 3:||Line 3:|
|bzr-svn is a plugin that allows Bazaar direct access to Subversion
repositories. It allows most bzr commands to work directly against Subversion
repositories, as if you were using bzr with a native bzr repository.
|Line 4:||Line 7:|
This plugin allows bzr direct access to Subversion repositories. This allows ``bzr branch``, ``bzr push``, ``bzr pull``, and ``bzr co`` to work directly against Subversion repositories.
The plugin can at the moment be used to commit to, pull from, merge from, push to and view logs of Subversion branches from Bazaar.
All created by simply running ``bzr branch ORIGINAL-URL``.
* `Samba 3 <http://people.samba.org/bzr/jelmer/samba/3.0>`_ - Original at svn://svn.samba.org/samba/branches/SAMBA_3_0
* `Samba 4 <http://people.samba.org/bzr/jelmer/samba/4.0>`_ - Original at svn://svn.samba.org/samba/branches/SAMBA_4_0
* `Samba docs <http://people.samba.org/bzr/jelmer/samba/docs>`_ - Original at svn://svn.samba.org/samba-docs/trunk
* `Subversion trunk <http://people.samba.org/bzr/jelmer/svn/trunk>`_ - Original at http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk
* `Subversion 1.3.x <http://people.samba.org/bzr/jelmer/svn/1.3.x>`_ - Original at http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/branches/1.3.x
* `Subversion 1.4.x <http://people.samba.org/bzr/jelmer/svn/1.4.x>`_ - Original at http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/branches/1.4.x
* `Lorikeet trunk <http://people.samba.org/bzr/jelmer/svn/lorikeet-trunk>`_ Original at svn://svn.samba.org/lorikeet/trunk
* `Build Farm trunk <http://people.samba.org/bzr/jelmer/samba/build-farm-trunk/>`_ - Original at svn://svn.samba.org/build-farm/trunk
* `Samba4 Debian package <http://people.samba.org/bzr/jelmer/pkg-samba/samba4/>`_ - Original at
* `Samba3 Sid Debian package <http://people.samba.org/bzr/jelmer/pkg-samba/sid/>`_ - Original at
* `Wireshark <http://people.samba.org/bzr/jelmer/wireshark/trunk>`_ - Original at http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/wireshark/trunk
* `Samba pdbsql <http://people.samba.org/bzr/jelmer/samba-pdbsql/trunk>`_ - Original at https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/pdbsql/trunk/samba-pdbsql
* `CUPS Trunk <http://people.samba.org/bzr/jelmer/mirror/cups/trunk>`_ - Original at http://svn.easysw.com/public/cups/trunk
* `CUPS Kerberos <http://people.samba.org/bzr/jelmer/mirror/cups/branches/kerberos>`_ - Original at http://svn.easysw.com/public/cups/branches/kerberos
More automatically imported branches can be found at http://people.samba.org/bzr/jelmer/mirror .
If you are having problems checking out a particular branch, please file a bug report and include the branch URL (if the branch is public) and the backtrace.
The following features are currently present:
* Connecting to remote Subversion repositories over all protocols supported by Subversion itself (at present: svn://, svn+ssh://, http:// (webdav), file://) as well as dump files. Checkouts, lightweight checkouts and branching works.
* Track Bazaar merges in Subversion. Merged revisions show up as ghosts.
* Subversion working copies. Can be modified, queried (``bzr status`` on a svn- native working copy created with ``svn co`` works) and committed from.
* Committing to Subversion from Bazaar.
* Push Bazaar revisions to Subversion.
* Follow branch copies. Revision history is not truncated when a branch was copied in Subversion.
* Efficiently uses network bandwidth.
* Recognizes file metadata (executable bits, symbolic links).
* 'svn-import' command with functionality similar to svn2bzr_.
* Ability to track merges done with SVK (http://svk.elixus.org/) and write merges from SVK/Svn branches in a format understandable by SVK.
* Generates consistent file ids and revision ids. Two branches made using this plugin of the same Subversion branch will result in *exactly* the same Bazaar branch.
* Handles complex operations in Subversion: committing to two branches at once, upgrading directories to branches, copies from early revisions, ...
In the future, I also hope to support:
* Renames. Initial work has been done to support this, but the number of corner cases is wide, so support for this has not been enabled by default yet.
* Proper Windows support. Most of the code depends on '/' being the path separator at the moment. `#54253 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr-svn/+bug/54253>`_
* 'svn:externals'. Externals should be mapped to Bazaar 'by-reference' nested branches and the other way around. Work on progress in http://people.samba.org/bzr/jelmer/bzr-svn/nestedtrees. `#82863 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr-svn/+bug/82863>`_
Network-wise (both bandwidth and roundtrips), the plugin is in good shape. However, it is currently quite CPU-intensive for no good reason and I hope to make a couple of improvements in that area.
* More efficient use of CPU
* Override implementation of get_revision_delta(). Will speed up 'bzr log -v'
* use svn_ra_replay() on systems that have Subversion 1.4. Saves a couple of roundtrips when fetching history. Initial work in branch at http://people.samba.org/bzr/jelmer/bzr-svn/replay
* implement svn_ra_get_dir_revs() in Subversion to fetch the properties set on a specific directory all at once.
* Something in Subversion or the Python-Subversion bindings appears to be leaking a lot of memory.
Some Subversion properties can currently not be represented in Bazaar and are therefore ignored for the time being:
* 'svn:ignore' is not imported. There should be a `Repository.get_ignores(revid)` call in
Bazaar rather than a magic '.bzrignore' file.
Spec at https://launchpad.net/products/bzr/+spec/new-ignore-rules
* 'svn:eol-style'. Requires eol support in Bazaar.
* 'svn:keywords'. Requires keywords support in Bazaar. Spec at https://launchpad.net/products/bzr/+spec/bzr-keyword-expansion. `#81463 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr-svn/+bug/81463>`_
Other features currently held back by Bazaars feature set:
* Horizon revision history. Most of the existing Subversion repositories are quite large and it would therefore be nice to be able to limit the amount of history that needs to be retrieved during checkouts. Subversion supports horizon history fine.
. Spec at https://launchpad.net/products/bzr/+spec/shallow-checkouts
* Tracking copies.
. Spec at https://launchpad.net/products/bzr/+spec/filecopies
Features held back by Subversion:
* Showing SVN merges as merges in Bazaar. This requires full merge information in Subversion, something which the Subversion folks are working on at the moment (see https://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/branches/merge-tracking). However, this seems to require support for cherry-picking. See https://launchpad.net/products/bzr/+spec/bzr-cpick-data
* 0.3.3_ (works with Bazaar 0.16 and higher)
* 0.3.2_ (works with Bazaar 0.15 and higher)
* 0.3.1_ (works with Bazaar 0.14 and higher)
* 0.3_ (works with Bazaar 0.14 and higher)
* 0.2_ (works with Bazaar 0.13 and higher)
* 0.1_ (works with Bazaar 0.8 and higher)
.. _0.3.3: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.3.3.tar.gz
.. _0.3.2: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.3.2.tar.gz
.. _0.3.1: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.3.1.tar.gz
.. _0.3: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.3.tar.gz
.. _0.2: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.2.tar.gz
.. _0.1: http://samba.org/~jelmer/bzr/bzr-svn-0.1.tar.gz
Debian/Ubuntu packages for 0.3.2 are available from http://samba.org/~jelmer/debian/. Ubuntu feisty already contains the latest release.
The plugin requires a couple of fixes to the Python bindings for Subversion that are only available in Subversion 1.5 (trunk). Debian/Ubuntu packages with these fixes backported are available in Ubuntu Edgy & Feisty and Debian Sid & Etch. You need the `python-subversion <http://packages.ubuntu.com/edgy/python/python-subversion>`_ and `libsvn0 <http://packages.ubuntu.com/edgy/libs/libsvn0>`_ packages.
A patch against Subversion 1.4.3 is also available at http://samba.org/~metze/subversion-1.4.0-metze-python-bindings.patch. To build a fixed version of Subversion's Python bindings using this patch, run:
$ wget http://subversion.tigris.org/downloads/subversion-1.4.3.tar.bz2
$ tar xvfj subversion-1.4.3.tar.bz2
$ cd subversion-1.4.3
$ patch -p1 < subversion-1.4.0-metze-python-bindings.patch
$ ./autogen.sh --release
$ make check-swig-py
$ sudo make install install-swig-py
Only certain versions of SWIG (http://www.swig.org) are able to build the Subversion Python bindings correctly. Success has been reported for SWIG versions 1.3.25 and 1.3.27. You can download old versions of SWIG from here__.
If you are using Python 2.4, you will need to have the pysqlite module installed. Python 2.5 and higher have sqlite support built in.
After ensuring these dependencies are met, you should be able to check out branches from Subversion using regular bzr commands.
An `older patch for Subversion 1.3.2 <http://people.samba.org/bzr/jelmer/subversion-1.3.2-pythonfixes.diff>`_ is available
Installation instructions for Fedora/Redhat are on https://planning.acm.org/hq/documentation/version-control/installing-bzr-svn
An unofficial Gentoo overlay containing the patches for subversion versions 1.3 and 1.4, plus a bzr-svn ebuild are hosted on launchpad at https://launchpad.net/bzr-gentoo-overlay/.
Please file bug reports in launchpad. The product URL for bzr-svn is https://launchpad.net/bzr-svn/.
* http://people.samba.org/bzr/jelmer/bzr-svn/0.3 (stable release series)
* http://people.samba.org/bzr/jelmer/bzr-svn/bzr.dev (bleeding edge, may break existing imports every now and then)
Simply run 'bzr selftest svn'
bzr-svn was written by JelmerVernooij_ with the help from various other people. See the AUTHORS file in the tarball for a list.
Bazaar support for Subversion branches, working trees and repositories
bzr-svn is a plugin that allows Bazaar direct access to Subversion repositories. It allows most bzr commands to work directly against Subversion repositories, as if you were using bzr with a native bzr repository.